KU Edwards Campus A-Z
  1. A
  2. B
  3. C
  4. D
  5. E
  6. F
  7. G
  8. H
  9. I
  10. J
  11. K
  12. L
  13. M
  14. N
  15. O
  16. P
  17. Q
  18. R
  19. S
  20. T
  21. U
  22. V
  23. W
  24. X
  25. Y
  26. Z
  • Home
  • Academics
  • Degrees
  • Special Education - Masters - High-Incidence Disabilities
  • M.S.E.
  • Licensing

Special Education - Masters - High-Incidence Disabilities

  • Test
  • Business - Bachelors
  • Bachelors of Biotechnology
  • Exercise Science - Bachelors
  • Information Technology - Bachelors
  • Law and Society - Bachelors
  • Literature, Language, and Writing - Bachelors
  • Molecular Biosciences - Bachelors
  • Psychology - Bachelors
  • Public Administration - Bachelors
  • Bachelor of Social Work
  • Applied Statistics & Analytics - Masters
  • Applied Statistics & Analytics - Online program
  • Architecture Management - Masters
  • Civil Engineering- Masters
  • Design Management - Masters
  • Interaction Design - Masters
  • Working Professional Master of Accounting Program
  • Business - Masters
  • Master’s in Curriculum & Instruction
  • Educational Administration - Masters
  • Educational Technology - Masters
  • Elementary Education - Masters
  • Secondary Education - Masters
  • Special Education - Masters - Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • Special Education - Masters - High-Incidence Disabilities
  • Early Childhood Unified
  • Information Technology - Masters
  • Engineering Management - Masters
  • Project Management - Masters
  • Integrated Marketing Communications - Masters
  • Communication Studies - Masters
  • Environmental Assessment - Masters
  • Global and International Studies - Masters
  • Public Administration - Masters
  • Science Manager
  • Social Work - Masters
  • Facility Management
  • Working Professional MBA Program
  • Behavior Analysis
  • Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering
  • Masters in Applied Behavioral Science


Note: Most teachers who complete our special education programs will take the few additional graduate courses required to finish the Master's degree as well. The Master's degree is an important goal for many teachers and substantially increases teacher pay.

New Online Application Process for Kansas Licensure

All students completing initial licensure programs or adding endorsements (like Adaptive or Functional) to their current Kansas license must file the Form 1 application online with KSDE. Alisa Branham, KU Licensure Officer, has posted detailed instructions for this new process at the School of Education website under "Licensure." If you have any questions, please contact Alisa directly at abranham@ku.edu.

The "Licensure" portion of the School of Education web site includes FAQS, information regarding licensure exams, information on the KPA (Kansas Performance Assessment), and information on how to renew a Kansas license. It's a good central source for School of Education students and alumni.

Other applications will continue to require the hardcopy forms (provisionals, renewals, etc.) but eventually KSDE hopes to have all forms online.

Types of Special Education Licensure in Kansas
There are three specific types of licensure programs the Department of Special Education offers: Conditional, Provisional and Waiver. If you have any questions, you can contact Alisa Branham, KU Licensure Officer, at abranham@ku.edu or 785-864-9602; the School of Education web site licensure page; and the Kansas State Department of Education site.

After the student has completed all courses in their program and passed the PRAXIS Subject Exam(s), the student may then apply for a Conditional License. Alisa Branham encourages students to contact her for a conditional license application during the last semester of their program. Information on Subject Exams is posted at the School of Education web site under Licensure Exams.

If a special education student has not yet completed their program, they can be recommended for a Provisional Kansas teacher's license by meeting three criteria. The student must be a licensed elementary or secondary teacher in Kansas (exception: Early Childhood Unified). Second, the student must have a job offer in a public school setting that requires the special education license. Third, the student must have completed three initial courses in the Department of Special Education Master's degree program in the specific area requested: a characteristics course, instructional methods course, and a practicum. A provisional license is effective for two years during which time most students can complete the remaining five to six courses in the program. If necessary, students may apply for a second provisional to complete all requirements while working as a special educator.

If a licensed elementary or secondary education teacher in Kansas has been offered a special education job but has not yet completed the three Department of Special Education program courses required for the provisional license, a temporary waiver is possible. However, the student must fulfill the following: be admitted to KU and enrolled in at least one course, and must contact KU Licensure Officer Alisa Branham for waiver application instructions and to receive a "plan of study" letter. KSDE deadlines for receiving waiver applications from schools are November 1 and February 1.

Practicing Educator Cost Savings

New Practicing Educator Sponsorship Program offered to Pre K-12 private or public school district educators interested in graduate studies.