Become a future leader for public service with masters in public administration
The KU Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree prepares students for careers in public service, including at all levels of government, non-profit organizations, and public service-oriented private organizations. Our MPA program employs a unique combination of theoretically grounded course work and practical application. It is recognized with multiple top rankings by U.S. News and World Report, including a long-standing #1 ranking in local government management.
A public administration professional’s duties might include:
- Studying political systems and operations
- Planning regional and urban community growth
- Making policy at the local government level
- Analyzing or changing performance at a non-profit organization
What career possibilities does a public administration degree offer?
Public administration professionals use their skills in a variety of settings, including local government, political science, non-profit leadership, medical and health services management and human resources.
Is an MPA or a public administration graduate certificate right for you?
KU’s public administration graduate programs are for individuals who seek leadership positions in public sector organizations. These programs develop students' abilities to design and implement policies, projects and programs while attending to day-to-day administrative issues, enabling their organizations to provide vital services to communities and address pressing societal problems.
What public administration graduate programs in Kansas City are available from KU?
KU offers an MPA and five certificate options for public administration graduate programs. See the choices below and download the program guides for more information. Each guide provides the program’s curriculum, career paths, admissions information, tuition and more.
- Masters of Public Administration program information
- City and County Management certificate program information
- Performance Management certificate program information
- Public and Nonprofit certificate program information
- Public Policy certificate program information
- Law & Society certificate program information
Explore the curriculum
- Applicable to a variety of careers
- Evening classes to fit your busy schedule
- MetroKC tuition rate available for Missouri students
- All full professors are members of the National Academy of Public Administration
- Ranked in public affairs, local government management (no. 1), public finance and budgeting, and public management and leadership among public universities by U.S. News and World Report
- NASPAA accredited
- Hands-on curriculum with real-world application
- Emphasizes characteristics to help you succeed in the field
- Training and practical experience in leadership, current issues and project management