Online Master of Arts in Applied Behavioral Science & Online ABAI-verified Course Sequence
What is applied behavioral science?
Applied behavioral science is a broad field of study using behavioral research and knowledge to solve real-world problems. The study of applied behavioral science is based on principles of learning to explore and understand complex human behavior. Applied behavioral scientists and researchers impact their communities in a variety of fields, improving how people learn, work and live.
An applied behavioral scientist or researcher’s duties might include:
- Providing one-on-one behavioral counseling to clients
- Creating behavioral treatment plans for children with autism or intellectual disabilities and communicating those plans to parents and educators
- Practicing clinical behavioral analysis in a university, hospital, residential or primary care setting
- Developing rehabilitation and behavioral skill acquisition for clients recovering from a brain injury
What career possibilities does a master's degree or graduate certificate in applied behavioral science offer?
Applied behavioral scientists and researchers work in many related fields, including autism and intellectual and developmental disorders, special education, mental health, health and fitness, and treatment of substance abuse disorders.
Is an online masters or online graduate certificate in applied behavioral science right for me?
KU’s M.A. in Applied Behavioral Science prepares students for a career in behavior analysis with high-quality training from a top-ranked institution in behavioral research and practice. The curriculum covers empirical and conceptual foundations of behavioral science and research methods, with coursework that emphasizes behavioral assessment, analysis, intervention and evaluation.
KU’s online MA program helps meet the educational requirements for licensure in the state of Kansas. If you plan to obtain a license or certification in a state other than Kansas or a US territory after completion of your program, it is highly recommended you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency BEFORE beginning the academic program to ensure you can obtain a license or certification in your home state or territory. The website provides resources for licensure and certification boards outside of Kansas.
The ABAI-verified course sequence in behavior analysis fulfills the educational requirement to sit for BCBA certification examination, with an all-online format tailored for busy professionals and graduate students seeking quality instruction and preparation. Students completing the course sequence earn a graduate certificate from the University of Kansas.
KU’s ABAI-verified Course Sequence in Behavior Analysis helps students meet the educational requirements for licensure in the state of Kansas, with an all-online format tailored for busy professionals and graduate students seeking quality instruction and preparation. If you plan to obtain a license or certification in a state other than Kansas or a US territory after completion of your program, it is highly recommended you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency BEFORE beginning the academic program to ensure you can obtain a license or certification in your home state or territory. The website provides resources for licensure and certification boards outside of Kansas.
How are the online masters in applied behavioral science and the ABAI-verified course sequence structured?
KU’s applied behavioral science degree requires 30 credit hours, including 18 hours in six content areas, three hours of research or practicum, and at least three thesis hours. Students must also conduct, write and orally defend an empirically based thesis.
The ABAI-verified course sequence in applied behavioral science consists of 24 credit hours, with an additional supervisory requirement to sit for BCBA examination. Students arrange their own supervision, with advice and support from KU faculty. During the program, faculty intermittently meet with students to review their supervision progress. Students successfully completing the online ABAI-verified course sequence also earn a graduate certificate from KU.
Students typically spend three hours each week in class per course during the semester and at least nine more hours outside of class each week per course on schoolwork. Students can enroll in one or more courses each semester, depending on their time availability and desired speed to complete either the degree or course sequence. The program coach and faculty can help students determine the best course load for their situation.
For both the degree and the course sequence, KU offers unique practicum opportunities in collaboration with a prominent behavioral health service provider, Behavioral Health Holdings. This practicum allows students to gain experience in the field and meet the required hours of experience for BCBA certification.
Unique Practicum Opportunities
KU offers unique practicums in collaboration with a prominent behavioral health service provider. Behavioral Health Holdings, a leader in serving children with autism spectrum disorder, and KU recently joined forces to provide an exciting opportunity for online students to gain experience in the field. This new collaboration may save you time and money as it helps you streamline your required field experience for the BCBA.
- Applicable to a variety of careers
- Offered fully online with an in-person thesis defense
- Option to advance your degree with training for BCBA certification
- Pioneering institution in behavioral research and practice
- Online M.A. curriculum matches the on-campus M.A. accredited by the Association for Behavior Analysis International
- Course sequence in behavior analysis verified by the Association for Behavior Analysis International
- KU is one of 38 public university members of the prestigious Association of American Universities, a group of America's leading research universities
- Curriculum emphasizing real-world application, practicum and research experience
- Courses designed for working professionals
- Unique practicum opportunities through Behavioral Health Holdings, a leading organization in serving children with autism spectrum disorder