John Keighley, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science
Personal Mission Statement
In life we are asked to make decisions every day that will have an impact on the industry where we work. Statistics and Biostatistics can help to make informed decisions using data. I am lucky in the fact that I get to experience both teaching and collaboration with researchers. Teaching graduate level statistics is an exciting and challenging part of my career as students will ask many different types of questions about the use of statistics in their career area. I also collaborate with researchers in at the University of Kansas Medical Center and have worked with the Office of Quality and Safety of the Veterans Health Administration of US Department of Veteran’s Administration.
Applied Area-Use of Statistics in Analysis and Reporting of Cancer Registry Data
Selected Publications —
1. Lai SM, Duncan PW, Keighley J. Prediction of functional outcome after stroke: Comparison of the Orpington Prognostic Scale and the NIH Stroke Scale. Stroke 1998; 29:1838-1842.
2. Duncan PW, Lai SM, Keighley J. Defining post-stroke recovery: implications for design and interpretation of drug trials. Neuropharmacology 2000; 39(5): 835-841.
3. Lai SM, Duncan PW, Keighley J, Johnson D. Depressive symptoms and independence in BADL and IADL. J Rehab Res and Development, 2002;39(5): 589-596.
4. Lai SM, Gray J, Garimella S, Keighley J, Murphy P. Digital Document Management - There is Far More Than Meets the Eyes. J Registry Management, 2003:30(3);121-124.
5. Lai SM, Garimella S, Keighley J. Pathology and dermatology reports: Key in completeness of melanoma cancer reporting in population-based cancer registries. J Registry Management 2004;31:87-91.
6. Mahnken JD, Keighley J, Cumming CG, Girod DA, Mayo MS: "Evaluating the Completeness of the SEER-Medicare Linked Database for Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer". J Registry Management, 2008:35(4):145-148
7. Lai SM, Duncan PW, Dew P, Keighley J. Sex Differences in Stroke Recovery. Prev Chronic Dis, 2005:2(3):
8. Rastogi A, Pondugula K, Bansal A, Wani S, Keighley J: Sugar J, Callahan P, Sharma P. Recognition of surface mucosal and vascular patterns of colon polyps using narrow band imaging: inter and intra-observer agreement and prediction of polyp histology. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2009 Mar;69(3 Suppl):716-22
9. Rastogi A, Keighley J, Singh V, Callahan P, Bansal A, Wani S, Sharma P. High accuracy of narrow band imaging without magnification for the real-time characterization of polyp histology and its comparison with high-definition white light colonoscopy: a prospective study. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2009 Oct;104(10):2422-30. Epub 2009 Jul 7.
10. Bowden K, Fitzgerald SA, Piamjariyakul U, Werkowitch M, Thompson, NC, Keighley J, and Smith CE. Comparing Patient and Nurse Specialist Reports of Causative Factors of Depression Related to Heart Failure. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, no. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-6163.2010.00279.x
11. Lai SM, King JB, Garimella S, Keighley J, Lewis M, Effect of the staging schema on melanoma cancer reporting, 1999 to 2006. J Am Acad Dermat, 2011 Nov;65(5 Suppl 1):S95-S103
12. Thompson L, Wang S, Tawfik O, Templeton K, Tancabelic J, Pinson D, Anderson HC, Keighley J, Garimella R, Effect of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 and 1 α,25 Dihydroxyvitamin D3 on Differentiation and Apoptosis of Human Osteosarcoma Cell Lines. J Orthop Res, 2011 Oct 31. DOI: 10.1002 [Epub ahead of print]
13. Singh M, Bansal A, Curvers WL, Kara MA, Wani SB, Herrero LA, Lynch CA, Van Kouwen MCA, Peters FT, Keighley JD, Rastogi A, Pondugula K, Kim R, Singh V, Gaddam S, Bergman J, Sharma P, Observer Agreement in the Assessment of Narrow Band Imaging System Surface Patterns in Barrett's Esophagus (BE): A Multi-Center Study. Endoscopy, 2011 Sep;43(9):745-51.
14. Lynch C, Wani S, Rastogi A, Keighley J, Mathur S, Higbee A, Bansal A, Gaddam S, Sharma P, Effect of Acid Suppressive Therapy on Narrow Band Imaging Findings in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease : A Pilot Study. Diseases of the Esophagus 2012 Mar 9. DOI: 10.1111/j.1442-2050.2012.01335.x [Epub ahead of print]
15. Tawfik O, Templeton K, Garimella R, Keighley J, Gallagher R, Clinicopathological Correlation of Vitamin D Receptor Expression with Retinoid X Receptor and MIB-1 Expression in Primary and Metastatic Osteosarcoma. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology 2012 Oct 16(5)323-9 [Epub 2012 Apr 25]
Awards & Honors —
2007, Travel Award to ASA Joint Meetings in Salt Lake City, Utah
Member of Protocol and Review Monitoring Committee KUMC & KUCC
Member of GU Cancer Working Group, KUMC
Member of North American Association of Central Cancer Registries Data Item Consolidation Work Group
Member of Curriculum Committee, Department of Biostatistics