Shana Palla, Ed.D.
- Assistant Director of Graduate Education, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science
Personal Mission Statement
My goal is to positively impact public health through the education of future researchers, implementation of innovative trial designs, and execution of solid and accurate statistical analyses.
Hometown: Overland Park, KS
Degrees held: BS in Mathematics, MS in Statistics, and working on EDD in Higher Ed (expected July 2021)
I am an Academic Success Coach / Advisor because: Students in the Applied Statistics & Analytics MS, Applied Statistics Graduate Certificate, and Applied Data Science Graduate Certificate programs need one person who can serve as the “go to” person when it comes to their graduate academic success. I am with students from the initial inquiry all the way to post-graduation career assistance. Having a single person do this, who understands the field with firsthand experience, is vital to the success of the programs and the success of the students. Online programs need a point of contact that is there to listen, advise, and serve as the liaison to the faculty and administrators at the school on behalf of the student. I enjoy being that person.
My research interests include innovative Phase I-III clinical trial designs, clinical trial monitoring, and clinical trial analysis with an emphasis in cancer. I have collaborative experience with a wide range of medical fields, with concentration in pediatric cancers, cancer palliative care, hepatitis, and hemochromatosis.
Selected Publications —
1. Fu J, Gutierrez C, Bruera E, Guo Y, Palla S. Use of injectable spasticity management agents in a cancer center. Support Care Cancer. 2012 Nov 11. PMID: 23142955
2. Zage PE, Sirisaengtaksin N, Liu Y, Gireud M, Brown BS, Palla S, Richards KN, Hughes DP, Bean AJ. UBE4B levels are correlated with clinical outcomes in neuroblastoma patients and with altered neuroblastoma cell proliferation and sensitivity to epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors. Cancer. 2012 Sep 18. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27785. PMID:22990745
3. Yennurajalingam S, Kang JH, Cheng HY, Chisholm GB, Kwon JH, Palla SL, Bruera E. Characteristics of Advanced Cancer Patients With Cancer-Related Fatigue Enrolled in Clinical Trials and Patients Referred to Outpatient Palliative Care Clinics. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Aug 20. PMID:22917716
4. Del Fabbro E, Parsons H, Warneke CL, Pulivarthi K, Litton JK, Dev R, Palla SL, Brewster A, Bruera E. The Relationship Between Body Composition and Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Women with Operable Breast Cancer. Oncologist. 2012 Aug 17. PMID:22903527
5. O'Connor CM, Sheppard S, Hartline CA, Huls H, Johnson M, Palla SL, Maiti S, Ma W, Davis RE, Craig S, Lee DA, Champlin R, Wilson H, Cooper LJ. Adoptive T-cell therapy improves treatment of canine non-Hodgkin lymphoma post chemotherapy. Sci Rep. 2012;2:249. Epub 2012 Feb 13. PMID: 22355761
6. Lopez-Olivo MA, Andrabi TR, Palla SL, Suarez-Almazor ME. Cervical spine radiographs in patients with rheumatoid arthritis undergoing anesthesia. J Clin Rheumatol. 2012 Mar;18(2):61-6. PMID: 22334269
7. Robert RS, Paxton RJ, Palla SL, Yang G, Askins MA, Joy SE, Ater JL. Feasibility, reliability, and validity of the pediatric quality of life inventoryTM generic core scales, cancer module, and multidimensional fatigue scale in long-term adult survivors of pediatric cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012 Feb 2. doi: 10.1002/pbc.24099. PMID: 22302778
8. Niikura N, Liu J, Hayashi N, Palla SL, Tokuda Y, Hortobagyi GN, Ueno NT, Theriault RL. Retrospective analysis of antitumor effects of zoledronic acid in breast cancer patients with bone-only metastases. Cancer. 2012 Apr 15;118(8):2039-47. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26512. Epub 2011 Dec 2. PMID: 22139648
9. Rabin KR, Gramatges MM, Borowitz MJ, Palla SL, Shi X, Margolin JF, Zweidler-McKay PA. Absolute lymphocyte counts refine minimal residual disease-based risk stratification in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011 Nov 18. PMID: 22102553
10. Hui D, Kilgore K, Nguyen L, Hall S, Fajardo J, Cox-Miller TP, Palla SL, Rhondali W, Kang JH, Kim SH, Del Fabbro E, Zhukovsky DS, Reddy S, Elsayem A, Dalal S, Dev R, Walker P, Yennu S, Reddy A, Bruera E. The Accuracy of Probabilistic Versus Temporal Clinician Prediction of Survival for Patients with Advanced Cancer: A Preliminary Report. Oncologist. 2011;16(11):1642-8. PMID:21976316
Awards & Honors —
1997, Lifetime Member of the Golden Key National Honor Society
2014, PStat® Accreditation