Military and veteran support services for students enrolling at KU Edwards Campus

The University of Kansas offers extensive support for active-duty U.S. military, veterans, Reserve members, National Guard members, and eligible dependents. Services range from financial aid advising to immunization information to program and course recommendations. We are proud to serve our military-affiliated students. As you pursue your academic goals, contact us to get the most from your academic experience and military-related benefits.

Follow the steps on this page for the most streamlined process. Contact information for the KU Edwards Campus veterans services coordinators appears at the bottom of this page. Contact them at any time with any questions you have.


You should expect comprehensive and seamless support from KU Edwards Campus and KU in Leavenworth. New military-affiliated students should schedule an intake appointment with our veterans services coordinator soon after meeting with your academic success coach for your program.

To take advantage of our services and maximize your experience, you should complete the following three steps.

  1. Meet with your academic success coach and veterans services coordinator. To do so, first schedule an appointment by contacting the Welcome Center at 913-897-8539 or Ask our staff to set up your veteran intake appointment while setting up your academic advising appointment so you can do everything in one trip. Intake and advising appointments are also available by phone and Skype if you prefer.
  2. Military-affiliated students may be affected by KU’s immunizations requirements. Because of the complexity, we recommend all new military-affiliated students to have a veteran intake appointment to review documentation. Be sure to review KU’s immunizations requirements before your intake meeting.
  3. Take the proper steps to use your education financial aid benefits. See below for details. Either…
    1. Military tuition assistance (TA)
    2. Veterans Affairs (VA) funding
    3. KU Veterans website

Complete the following prior to starting the Veterans Affairs (VA) process to receive your Certificate of Eligibility for financial assistance.

  1. Enroll in classes related to your degree. Check with your academic success coach for degree-related courses.
  2. Apply for Certificate of Eligibility 
  3. Preferred for residency purposes but not required: Have a copy of your DD 214, also known as a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. 
  4. Visit the KU page for declaring your VA education benefits
  5. Choose which path is correct for you. If you did not use VA education benefits at KU last semester, choose “New Request.” If you did use VA benefits at KU last semester, choose “Continued Request.”
  6. Check your KU email daily for important messages about the status of your certification. One important email you should receive includes your “Veteran’s Process to Degree Form.”
  7. You should notice a tuition deferment on your KU Enroll & Pay account within 7 business days of submitting your form. This ensures your payment is not due until the 15th day of the last month of the semester, providing time for your benefits to be paid by the VA.
  8. When you receive by email your “Veteran’s Process To Degree Form,” forward it to your academic success coach.
  9. Once your academic success coach completes the form, you will be notified via email. Please monitor this process closely. Any delay may cause a delay in payment of benefits.
  10. You completed the certification process when you receive an email stating “educational benefits process is complete and certification has been submitted to Veterans Affairs.”

Military tuition assistance (TA) can provide another option in paying for college. TA can pay up to $250 per credit hour if you are currently on active duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard. Each branch of military service has a different process for TA. Schedule an intake appointment with the KU Edwards Campus veteran services coordinator to explore your different options. TA must be approved by the proper military branch authority prior to the start of class. Visit Military One Source for additional information.

The University of Kansas main page for military-affiliated students.

Many students complete courses at nearby Johnson County Community College (JCCC) before or concurrently with attending KU Edwards Campus. Here is information for military-affiliated students.

Veterans may be eligible for free bus passes.

Contact Information

Veterans services coordinator for KU Edwards Campus students: