Undergraduate On-Campus and Online Exercise Science Degrees and Strength and Conditioning Undergraduate Certificate
What is exercise science?
Exercise science studies human movement, using components of biological, physical and health sciences to explore structural and functional changes that occur to the body on physiological, biochemical and biomechanical levels. Exercise science covers a wide range of subject matter, which applies to a variety of career pathways and opportunities for post-graduate education. This program can also put you on a pre-health or pre-med path.
You can pursue undergraduate education in exercise science through two degree offerings or by completing a certificate program.
- The on-campus BS in Exercise Science is designed for individuals seeking to complete an undergraduate degree and continue to graduate school in medicine, physical therapy or another health care field, or individuals looking to directly enter or advance in a career such as personal training or wellness coaching. Coursework includes exercise physiology, biomechanics, biochemistry, kinesiology, and an internship option.
- The BAS in Exercise Science degree, available online, is designed for individuals who want to complete an undergraduate degree and directly enter or advance in a fitness, force readiness, corporate wellness, or coaching career including preparing for industry certifications.
- The Undergraduate Certificate in Strength and Conditioning certificate program prepares students to enter or advance careers such as personal training and tactical strength and conditioning.
What career possibilities does exercise science offer?
Exercise science provides the groundwork for a variety of in-demand careers, particularly in the health care and fitness industries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in health care occupations overall is projected to grow 13 percent by 2031 with nearly two million new jobs each year, and employment in fitness and coaching occupations is projected to grow 20 percent by 2031.
What exercise science programs are available through the KU Edwards Campus?
You can pursue undergraduate education in exercise science through two degree programs, or by completing a certificate program at the KU Edwards Campus. Download the program guides for more information on curriculum, career paths, admissions information, tuition and more.
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science (on-campus)
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Exercise Science (online)
- Strength and Conditioning online certificate
The NSCA Education Recognition Program (ERP) recognizes and distinguishes schools with standardized, approved strength and conditioning or personal training curricula in undergraduate and graduate settings designed to prepare students for the NSCA-Certified Personal Trainer ® (NSCA-CPT ®) and NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist ® (CSCS ®) certifications.
Best Health Degrees ranked this program in the 15 Best Online Exercise Science and Kinesiology Bachelor’s Degrees for 2021.
- Flexible course formats – online and on-campus, days and evenings
- Select recorded lectures available
- Customizable elective options directed toward career goals
- MetroKC tuition rate available for Missouri students
- Education Recognition Program certification through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
- Credentialed, experienced faculty
- KU School of Education recognized as one of the top 20 public education schools in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Hands-on curriculum with real-world application
- BS curriculum meets prerequisites for physical therapy school
- Internationally recognized certification opportunities through NSCA and ISSN
- Focus on workforce readiness and practical clinical or laboratory skills