Academic Calendar

Academic Forgiveness

Academic Misconduct

Add, Drop and Withdrawal

Student Schedule Change Form and Add/Drop Instructions

Adding Classes Overview

Withdrawal Overview

Note: Withdrawal can have a number of consequences to academic progress, and there are often a number of alternatives to this action to meet the needs of students. All students are strongly encouraged to meet with their academic success coach to explore these options prior to any withdrawal process.

School of Professional Studies Retroactive Withdrawal Petition

The retroactive withdrawal petition is designed for students who experienced extreme and uncontrollable circumstances following the last day to withdraw from a course during a given term. All retroactive withdrawal petition forms must be completed online or submitted via email to

You are not a candidate for retroactive withdrawal if any of the following are true:

  • You are applying because you are not satisfied with the grade you earned.
  • You are applying because you forgot to withdraw from the course during the term.
  • You were not aware of the withdrawal deadlines.
  • You changed your mind and are now working toward a major or degree that does not require this course.
  • You assumed non-academic activities that restricted your time for academic pursuit.

You are a candidate for retroactive withdrawal if at least one of the following are true:

  • There was a documented administrative error that affected your enrollment in one or more courses.
  • You received absolutely no feedback on your performance in the course prior to the last day to withdraw from the course.
  • You have documentation of a serious illness that affected your ability to complete all of your coursework after the withdrawal date.
  • You encountered documented extreme and unusual circumstances during the semester which a) were beyond your control, b) occurred after the withdrawal date, and c) could not have been addressed during the term in which the course(s) was taken.
  • You enrolled in KU coursework but did not attend any of your classes because you were enrolled full-time at another academic institution.


Graduation requirements and regulations for every academic program are provided in the School of Professional Studies Catalog. Degree requirements and course descriptions are subject to change. In most cases, you will use the catalog of the year you entered KU (see your academic success coach for details).

Change of School Form

Students wishing to change their major can do so by completing a Change of School Form located on the Office of the University Registrar Forms page.

Students wishing to declare a minor from the School of Professional Studies may do so by sending an email to or by reaching out to their academic advisor/coach.

Course Petitions

This petition request form should only be used when petitioning for enrollment in a course within the School of Professional Studies. This petition is not for transferring courses into KU. Students are advised to meet with an academic success coach or academic advisor prior to filling out and turning in this petition for exception form.

To complete a course petition, email or call your academic success coach. 

Enrollment Holds

A KU Edwards Undergraduate Enrollment Hold (ULN) is placed on all new transfer undergraduate students' accounts early upon admission to ensure proper first-term enrollment, admission procedures, and new student orientation completion.

A School of Professional Studies Advising Hold may be placed students' accounts to encourage connecting with the program for enrollment guidance.  An academic success coach can release the hold as part of the enrollment planning process. This hold prevents future-term enrollment. A School of Professional Studies Prevent Drop hold is applied to all SPS students after the beginning of the second enrollment period to prevent course drops and to ensure students discuss possible negative ramifications of a withdrawal.

The School of Professional Studies also applies holds to students going through the academic probation or dismissal process.

Grade Appeals/Change of Grade

School of Professional Studies Grade Appeal Procedures

Valid reasons to consider a grade appeal:

  • You believe there was an administrative error (a math error, for example) leading to an incorrect grade assigned to you.
  • You believe you were graded differently than other students in the same class.
  • You believe your grade was not assigned in accordance with policies outlined in the course syllabus.

Invalid reasons to consider a grade appeal:

  • You are unhappy with your final grade.
  • You need a higher GPA to meet scholarship or other GPA requirements.

If you are appealing a grade that was assigned as a result of academic misconduct, you should follow procedures outlined in the School of Professional Studies Grievance Procedures (PDF).

School of Professional Studies Grade Appeal Procedures (PDF)

Steps to pursue a grade appeal:

  1. Talk to your instructor (within 30 days of final grade posting).
  2. If still unresolved, submit grade appeal form with supporting documentation to assistant dean at within 60 days of final grade posting).
  3. The instructor will have an opportunity to provide information related to this case.
  4. The School of Professional Studies Academic Council will review and provide a recommendation within 30 days.

Graduation Information

Degrees are awarded at the close of each academic semester. The School of Professional Studies will review student records and recommend students each term to the University Registrar for degree or certificate completion.

School of Professional Studies graduates have the opportunity to engage in a number of graduation celebrations and ceremonies to mark this monumental point in your academic journey.

KU Edwards Campus Graduate Gathering

The KU Edwards Campus Graduate Gathering is an opportunity for all KU Edwards Campus program graduates to gather in a come-and-go reception to celebrate their accomplishment. Students are welcome to bring guests and enjoy refreshments, activities, and even have photo time with Baby Jay. Graduate gatherings are hosted every December and May. Visit for details.

Grievance Information

School of Professional Studies Grievance Policy (PDF)

Incomplete Grades

A student who has an “I” posted for a course must make up the work by the date determined by the instructor, in consultation with the student, which may not exceed one calendar year, or the last day of the term of graduation, whichever comes first. An “I” not removed according to this rule automatically converts to a grade of F or U, or the lapse grade assigned by the course instructor, and appears on the student’s record. See USRR 2.2.3 for more details.

Instructors may email for next steps to record the parameters of an incomplete grade agreement with a student.

Internships, Practica and Experiential Learning

Experiential learning is a critical component of your academic experience in the School of Professional Studies. Through internships, capstone projects and other field or immersive experiences, your program will help you to connect your classroom learning with practical experience in the community. See your academic success coach or faculty member to learn more about these opportunities in your program.

Time Limits for Degrees

Students have a maximum of 10 years to complete their undergraduate work in the School of Professional Studies under degree requirements in effect at the initial term of matriculation. Students experiencing a break in enrollment during these 10 years will seek appropriate readmission guidance with their academic success coach and are held to the curricular requirements in place at the term of readmission.

Students readmitted after a break in attendance of less than two years may petition the School of Professional Studies to request to change to the term requirements based on their readmission term. This should be considered in consultation with their academic success coach, and a petition should be submitted to the School of Professional Studies Academic Council at

Students maintaining continuous enrollment but who do not complete their degree requirements within 10 years may petition the School of Professional Studies to complete their degree requirements under the curricular requirements in effect during the term of admission.

Transfer Credit Substitution Request

Students are only able to use transferred courses to fulfill degree requirements if they earned a grade of “C-“ or higher. Courses in which a student earned less than a “C-“ may not be considered. 

If you have any questions about the request form, please contact your academic success coach.